Friday, August 18, 2017

Our Interview with Missy Franklin!

Our Live Interview with Missy Franklin and her Parents

For the past few years we’ve been working with Minute Maid, a company I’ve grown to love, to help share their #doingood campaign which is very dear to my heart. Minute Maid knows that parenting is complicated business, but they also know that what’s true for juice is true for families too—when you put good in, you get good out.

Minute Maid’s #doingood campaign is letting parents out there know that they are doing great things — big and small– every single day. You are #doingood.

On Monday, I joined a special parenting discussion hosted by Minute Maid, Missy Franklin, and her parents. It was amazing. We sipped juice chatted about our parenting doubts and successes and heard some of the best parenting advice I’ve ever received from Missy’s parents D.A. and Dick.

When you watch the video, I promise you’ll fall in love with this family. You can tell in just a few minutes that they are brimming with genuine love for one another. And if I could describe Missy in just one word, it would be radiant. She is full of light and kindness. The room gets brighter when she walks in and she’ll give you a big hug and a grin to match it.

Behind the Scenes

After watching the video you’ll come away with a whole page full of cool things you’ve learned (like the sweetest thing Missy’s mom did to make sure she stayed warm before swim practice). Here are some behind-the-scenes looks at our video shooting, along with five surprising things I learned from talking with Missy Franklin and her parents.

{Lights, camera, action. Getting the lighting just right and the camera situated. We had a fun crew of about six behind us the whole time making sure nothing crazy happened.}

{Getting fitted for sound. Just as we were getting ready to start, a neighbor fired up his weed eater. “Do you want me to ask him to postpone for a few minutes?” Missy asked sweetly.}

{Missy and her mom D.A. chatting before the video. “Mom, your first Facebook Live…that’s so cute!” Missy says.}

5 Surprising Things I Learned about Olympian Missy Franklin

Surprisingly, Olympic Gold Medalists are a lot like you and I. Here are five cool things I learned about Missy and her family during our visit.

1. Missy didn’t always “just swim.”

Watch the video to find out all the other activities Missy tried, including the other sport Missy had to choose between when she picked swimming.

2. What song Missy listens to before an Olympic event.

I would have never guessed this one. When I see Olympic swimmers with their headphones on before a big event, I assume they are listening to some major pump-up music. With Missy Franklin, it’s quite the opposite. What does she listen to before a big event?

Frank Sinatra. “It calms me down,” she says.

3. Her parents have never missed a swim meet.

Not a single one. Missy’s parents Dick and D.A. have been there for every single swim event of her life.

4. She hangs out in her bare feet.

“Is it okay if I do this in my bare feet?” Missy asks. Why not? Even Olympic champions like to get comfy.

5. She has a hard time getting her mom off the phone too!

This was one of my favorite parts of the interview. You’ll love it too!

Talking with Missy Franklin made me want to tackle hard things…like finally doing level 3 of that Jillian Michaels DVD I’ve been putting off. Talking with her parents made me want to come home and be the best mom I can be.

This interview reminded me that I’m #doingood—better than I think sometimes.

Tell a parent in your life thank you by sending them a Reverse Care Package and join the conversation online by using the hashtag #doingood.

*Thank you to Minute Maid for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The post Our Interview with Missy Franklin! appeared first on How Does She.


by Nicolette via Home And Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

UTV plowing deep snow by Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek

UTV plowing deep snow How much snow can a UTV push? Let's see if it can plow 8" of heavy wet snow on long runs over a gravel drive...